I decided to publish for prosperity this on-the-fly post about one of my husband and I’s favourite “fast foods” – mainly to irk my foodie friend Oriana who rightly hates any abuse of the adjective “Tuscan” applied to something that clearly isn’t. This “Tuscan grilled cheese” is a perfect marriage of Tuscan delicacies and Canadian comfort foods.
- 2 cipolle di certaldo (sweet red onions from Certaldo)
- 4 slices Tuscan bread
- 4 slices cacio or pecorino di Pienza
- 1 tbsp oil, dash balsamic vinegar, salt, sugar
1) In a saucepan, heat oil, add chopped onions, sautée on medium heat. Add sugar and balsamic vinegar to caramelize.
2) Prepare 2 thin slices of Tuscan bread, salt lightly. Lay slices of cheese on one side. Add cooked onions.
3) In a pre-heated “panino squisher device” as pictured, toast until brown. If you don’t have said cheap Italian appliance, you can grill it or fry it in a pan, but you’ll need butter on the outside of the bread, while this recipe is also dietetic ;-)
4) serve with abundant Heinz ketchup.
Voilà, it’s Sunday or holiday food when you are all out of fresh bread and other ingredients!
(photo disclaimer: taken with iphone – written on wordpress mobile)